Thursday, March 8, 2007

Incredible Experiences While Homeschooling

We had the most amazing experience yesterday. The weather was
gorgeous, so I took the kids (age 7 and 4) for a walk along a trail
that starts right beside the Snow Valley Ski area. It was warm and
sunny and we were looking for puddles.

There is a bridge over a creek close to the beginning of the trail.
The creek was still frozen, and the kids wanted to go down and walk
around on the ice. I do have a brain, this sounded kind of dangerous,
so I went first, and it seemed safe enough. The ice on top was
crunchy, and underneath it was just frozen mud and ice, so I decided
it was okay.

We played and explored there for a while, and then went back up to
the trail and walked some more. There was another spot where we
climbed down onto the creek and watched little rivulets of water
trickling around and crunched up all of the ice and poked at things
with sticks and generally had a wonderful time.

I decided it was time to head back, so we did. Well, when we got back
to the first bridge, THE CREEK WATER WAS RUSHING BY AT HIGH SPEED! I
was stunned. Only 45 minutes before, we were walking around on the
same spot that was now drowned by muddy, flowing water! Only 15
minutes before, we were playing IN the creek bed just two curves downstream!

I had no idea that a creek could switch from ice to flowing water so
quickly. My kids are convinced that they are directly responsible for
the creek starting to move because "we broke up the ice"!

No comments: