Sunday, October 1, 2006

Ravings

Oh my god, I am drunk. I apologize in advance for anyone who is
offended by drunken ravings. Maybe you should stop reading now. I
don't get drunk very often, but when I do, it is a LOT of fun. Might
as well make the most of it. Morning meditation at church tomorrow
should be hilarious. (A word of advice: don't meditate while
hung-over. It's brutal.)

I picked up some second-hand books this week from a fellow
home-schooler: Kids Book of Canada; an Usborne Encyclopedia of
History; and another book called "Dinosaurs by Design" that I just
grabbed because my 4 year-old is into dinosaurs right now. Well,
today, he asks me to read it to him. Sure, I think, no problem. I
flip open to the first page. It's all about fossils. Since he's still
4, I often just read him the captions and sidebar stuff beside the
pictures. I skim through and my eyes stop on this: "All dinosaurs not
on Noah's Ark were drowned in the Flood." ...........Pardon?

I had to skim through a few more pages to figure out what the h***
this was all about. Apparently, the Earth is only a few thousand
years old. Apparently, the Flood is probably responsible for many of
the geological features present today, like the Grand Canyon. The
Bible even makes several mentions of dragons and whatnot, which is
even more proof that dinosaurs existed RECENTLY. Apparently, there
are hundreds of different folk tales around the world about floods
and dragons, which MUST have some basis in reality. People all over
the world wouldn't make up the same types of stories unless there was
some basis in fact. I literally could not believe my eyes. I had to
show it to my husband, who also could not believe his eyes. Actually,
he had a lot more choice words than that, but let's pretend that this
is a family-friendly blog.

Now I find myself stuck with a dilemma about what to do with the
book. My son still wants me to read it to him, which I most certainly
will not do, at least not until he's old enough to have a
conversation about it. I don't think I can return it to the lady who
sold it to me. I don't really want to pass it on to anyone, because I
don't want to spread these kind of ideas. I generally don't approve
of book-burnings, so that's out. I feel like I've inherited a virus
of some kind, that needs to be contained or dealt with somehow.

By now, you have probably figured out that I am NOT a creationist. I
am also NOT a Christian, although I have several Christian friends
whom I like and respect very much. My husband used to call himself
Christian (he even taught Sunday school!), but I pestered him with so
many detailed questions about his exact beliefs before we said our
wedding vows that he stopped going to church. (I actually feel a
little bad about that, but I really needed specific answers before I
was willing to marry him.) I attend the local "Life Enrichment
Centre" on Sundays, which calls itself a New Thought ministry. I have
seen other websites about churches called Unitarian which seem
somewhat similar.

So, your comments are welcome. I'm not drunk anymore, but tomorrow
might be a rough day. It's almost 2am. What the h***, I'm a mother,
I've survived on less sleep. At least I had fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I was up almost that late, too. Checking out full-length down coats, sheepskin-lined boots and playing games on the Internet. Can feel winter on the wind in the morning already. I promised myself I will not be up that late tonight! :)
So, what to do with a book like that.... Well, as most things turn out to be, this book will be his favourite for a while and then will fade into being just another book on the shelf. When it reaches that point, sneak it away and RECYCLE IT!!! Maybe it's next reincarnation will be more... highly evolved?
Well, good luck with it.

Anonymous said...

Haven't you heard of the "Merlot and Email Don't Mix" award?

:-)

I'll have to take a peek at the book sometime...if you haven't ditched it!