Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Homeschooling and "Stress"

I am almost fed up with people telling me what a huge burden or responsibility I've taken on with homeschooling. Seriously, if I complain about being tired, or being busy, or being stressed out, people automatically assume that it's because I'm homeschooling.

This is the truth: homeschooling is my JOY, it is my chief pleasure and my #1 interest in life right now. I get to spend quality 1-on-1 time with my kids doing stuff that we all love to do like reading, going to the library, having deep conversations, playing, visiting friends, and taking advantage of the wonderful attractions in our city. Homeschooling is like being on summer holidays all year long. It is absolutely lovely.

If you want to know why I'm stressed out, it has something to do with being President of my son's playschool and dealing with cranky parents, fire inspector issues, and myriad other little "to-do's" that eat up time I'd rather spend READING. On top of that, the two hours I spend running an after-school care program for 4 kids (ages 8, 9, 11, and 11) completely
and totally drains me. By the time my husband gets home for supper, I am washed out. I need to spend 45 minutes lying on the couch just to pull myself together.

I have a lot more to say on this topic. Honestly, there are about 4 topics there. Fodder for another night.

No comments: