Sunday, January 6, 2008

I'm back!

It has been a long time since I have posted. I made a conscious
decision to stop because I was feeling overwhelmed. I was reading so
much about global warming, environmental destruction, and peak oil
that I became quite upset and depressed. I also found that I was
compulsively reading blogs and websites that upset me. I was getting
sucked into all the negativity.

I realized that it's important to be informed, to make conscious
choices, and to make changes in my life, but I won't be much help to
the world if I am paralyzed with depression or overwhelmed by the
enormity of it all. So, I took a break. I deleted all of my bookmarks
for anything related to the environment or to peak oil, and I stopped
posting on my blog.

After I got back to a more normal state of mind, I couldn't decide
what I want my blog to be FOR. Most people have some kind of a theme
that they post about, whether it's homeschooling, the environment, or
just a family diary of events. I'm still not sure, but I do feel like
writing again, so maybe this is going to be a blog of stuff I find
interesting. Talk about self-serving!

3 comments:

Kunoichi said...

I completely understand where you're coming from! I'm still doing a lot of research, but I've had to slow down,too. I think the only thing that's saved me is that I'm alternating between books that are of opposite views. Right now I'm on the super depressing Heat, so it's slow going. The author is so full of himself, too, which doesn't make it any easier. Thankfully, I recently got a new book from Paul Zane Pilzer that counters the mood quite nicely. Gotta read the positive stuff to counter the negative.

Theresa said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you took time away when you needed it. Things can certainly get depressing at times, but there is a lot of hope out there too! Kunoichi is right about the balancing thing - I've been trying to balance out books like "Heat" with ones like "Peace is Every Step."

I'm looking forward to reading whatever you write about!

Theresa said...

Come back again!

I have tagged you with a meme over at my blog if you need a topic!